Enter your email address to begin your application for this job.
Vice President, Finance
About Futurpreneur Canada
Futurpreneur Canada is the only national non-profit that provides resources, financing and mentoring to aspiring business owners ages 18 to 39. Since 1996, we have supported over 12,000 young entrepreneurs launching more than 10,000 Canadian businesses in every province and territory across the country. Last year, 45% of the businesses supported by the Futurpreneur Start-up Program were women led. Mentoring is at the core of what we do, as we match every entrepreneur that we finance with a business expert from a network of 3,000 volunteer mentors. Futurpreneur is a founding member of the G20 Young Entrepreneurs’ Alliance, the Canadian member of Youth Business International and the Canadian host of Global Entrepreneurship Week.
Our Purpose (why we exist): To drive inclusive Canadian prosperity by fueling the success of young enterprise.
Our Mission (what we do every day to achieve our purpose): To provide early-stage financing, mentorship and other resources to help aspiring entrepreneurs age 18-39 launch successful businesses that contribute to sustainable economic development in their communities and for Canada.
Our Values (how we work – our core principles & commitments): We are mission-driven, collegial & collaborative, diverse & inclusive, and accountable & transparent.
Here’s the opportunity:
Futurpreneur is seeking a Vice President, Finance to join our organization. The Vice President, Finance will report to the CEO and be part of the Senior Leadership Team. Responsibilities will include financial governance and management, financial reporting, financial systems, loan asset management and leading the finance team in all aspects of accounting operations (all for Futurpreneur and related entities).
You will work closely with other members of the leadership team and use your expertise to manage and collaborate across departments, projects and overall business objectives.
What you will do:
Financial Governance and Management
- With CEO, establish and execute short and long term financial strategies to ensure financial sustainability.
- Develop long term financial projections and annual budgets.
- Manage the treasury function, including cash projections that inform fundraising and other solutions to access funds (e.g. borrowing).
- Review and develop policies appropriate to the revenue streams of the sector (not for profit and charity), expense allocations and investment policies for restricted and segregated funds.
- Maintain asset management policies and procedures.
- Oversee and deliver audit requirements and internal control systems appropriate to annual and other audits including those in funder contracts/agreements.
- Monitor the external regulatory environment and engage the organization in the development and implementation of necessary compliance activities.
- Be responsible for the relationship with external legal counsel and supervise and set the mandate for internal legal services, as required.
- Liaise with legal, tax and other professionals.
- Lead the enterprise risk management and insurance programs.
- Oversee contract administration and procurement processes. Ensure compliance with government regulations.
- Manage reporting specific to relevant regulatory authorities governing charities and not for profits.
- Manage the Board of Directors’ audit and finance committee work plan and all committee reports.
- Manage all external stakeholder (e.g. government and corporate partners) reporting cycles.
- Deliver quarterly and annual reports to track performance against budget and variance analysis.
- Conduct internal reports to track key performance indicators to budget and year over year variances.
- Explore needs and identify solutions for the ERP and financial systems, including the loan asset subledger. Work with IT colleagues to implement new solutions.
Loan Asset Management
- Oversee policies and procedures related to Futurpreneur’s $30 million loan asset.
- Make recommendations for interest rates and fee structure to optimize revenue and that reflect appropriate risk tolerance.
- Guide and support the Director of Financial Operations with treasury management related to loan disbursements including funder segregation where relevant and borrower repayments.
Organization and People
- Regularly coach and provide feedback to team members to enable them to grow and thrive and reach their full potential.
- Motivate the team to be the best they can in every aspect of what they do.
- Celebrate successes by recognizing the contributions of committed team members and their achievements.
- Align with the Purpose, Mission and Values of Futurpreneur Canada.
- Be a role model for Futurpreneur’s organizational culture by creating a positive impact at every touchpoint with people.
- Make a difference in the lives of our Young Entrepreneurs by helping our team members make our entrepreneurs’ dreams come true.
What you will have:
- Sound financial and management accounting skills.
- Post-secondary diploma or degree in accounting, finance or business and a CPA designation.
- Minimum of ten (10) years working in the field in progressive levels of responsibility with experience leading a team of finance/accounting employees ideally within the not-for-profit or for-profit sectors.
- Specific experience with fund accounting and with government contracts/ multi-year agreements would be an asset.
- Strong organizational, communication, presentation, management and interpersonal skills.
- Detail-oriented with good judgment.
- Passion and track record for ensuring the accuracy of numerical data and cost-effective use of company budget dollars.
- Alignment with Futurpreneur’s values and commitment to the mission/purpose of the organization.
- Expertise with MS Office applications – Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio, etc., Microsoft Dynamics, Microsoft NAV or other third-party financial and CRM applications.
- Bilingual in English/French would be an asset.
HOW TO APPLY:
Qualified candidates are invited to submit their resume, cover letter and salary expectations by January 6, 2020.
Futurpreneur Canada is committed to an inclusive, equitable workplace and encourages applications for all qualified candidates. We embrace the unique perspectives and experiences within our team. Reasonable accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in the selection process.
#LI - GK1
Enter your email address to begin your application for this job.