Enter your email address to begin your application for this job.
Controller, Organics Group
COMPANY: Walker Environmental Group
LOCATION: Caledon, ON
Are you in search of an exciting leadership opportunity in a large and growing business? Are you seeking a complex and challenging role, where you’ll get to use your finance and accounting skills to support the resource recovery industry, in a company making a positive environmental impact?
If you answered yes to these questions and are ready for an opportunity to take the next step in your career with an innovative organization with a rock-solid reputation, then we want you to join us as our new Controller.
WALKER ENVIRONMENTAL GROUP:
Walker Environmental, a division of Walker Industries, is a leading waste management and resource recovery company. We operate across Canada with two landfills, a waste transfer facility, biosolids stabilization plants, composting and mulch organics production facilities, liquid organics collection fleet and recycling facilities, several landfill gas renewable energy projects and a waste haulage business.
CONTROLLER, ORganics Group:
As our new Controller, you will report directly to the Divisional Controller, Environmental and lead a team of eight direct reports. You will be responsible for all of the accounting and financial reporting within our Organics group, which handles our industrial composting, mulch production, and potting soil operations. Your primary goal is to provide accurate and timely financial information and analysis to our senior management, executives, and other stakeholders.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Preparing, reviewing, and analyzing financial statements for month end and quarter end to ensure accuracy of financial information, and detail areas of concern for senior management review
- Overseeing the maintenance of general and subsidiary ledger accounts to ensure the integrity of the information gathered and reported
- Creating monthly, quarterly, and yearly financial reports and analysis highlighting variances or anomalies and provide financial support to senior management for decision making.
- Overseeing the accuracy of the company’s manufacturing data processing to ensure the accuracy of results within the ERP system
- Coordinating and preparing annual budgets, planning processes, and forecasting to assist senior management analyze anticipated financial results
- Preparing year end working paper files and supporting documentation for the annual audited financial statements and corporate tax returns
- Completing annual tax returns and other regulatory filings as necessary
- Attending operating, financial review, and senior management meetings to provide support and direction financially and otherwise
- Ensuring proper implementation and documentation of financial controls to ensure the integrity of the general ledger and financial reporting systems and processes
- Overseeing workloads and providing supervision to direct reports to ensure work is done accurately
In addition to your technical finance and accounting expertise, your success in this role will be a direct result of your ability to work collaboratively with our senior management and operations team, who are located on different sites across Ontario. No matter their level of financial expertise, you are able to synthesize financial and accounting information and communicate it clearly and effectively. Your expert communication skills allow you to deliver complex financial information and provide sound financial advice and guidance to our team. By helping them understand the details as well as the bigger picture, you will deliver valuable analysis to address the issues that matter most to our business and its growth.
As a leader, you will have an opportunity to provide mentorship and coaching to your team of direct reports, while helping them grow and develop professionally. In sharing your knowledge, and providing ongoing guidance and hands on support, you’ll help us take our team to the next level.
This is a remarkable opportunity to bring your experience somewhere you can make a difference to a business and its people. If you’re ready to take ownership of a leadership opportunity and are hungry for a role where you can have a significant impact on a growing company that’s making a positive difference to the environment, then we want to meet you.
This is a full-time, permanent role offering a salary plus benefits, company pension plan, an annual incentive program, and three weeks’ vacation to start. You’ll work out of our Caledon office, Monday to Friday. We have a convenient flex time schedule (with core hours between 9 am – 4 pm), and overtime will be required during peak times (month end, quarter end, etc.).
- Professional accounting designation with 7+ years of experience (ideally between 7-10 years’ experience)
- Experience working in a manufacturing environment with a large ERP system (experience with JD Edwards preferred)
- Experience working in a multi-location operation
- Experience using an ERP system for data management, mining, and analytics to produce financial statements and reports
- Experience supervising a team of direct reports
- Experience in the trucking and/or logistics industry, and/or resource recovery industry would be a plus
- University degree in accounting, finance, commerce, business administration, or related discipline
- Valid G driver’s license with ability to travel across Ontario
Working at Walker Industries
Established in 1887, we are proud to be a fifth-generation, family-owned, Canadian company. Our group of companies includes aggregates, paving & construction, emulsions and environmental waste & recycling solutions. We are known for our philanthropy and ‘above and beyond’ service to our customers and communities.
There’s a lot more we’re proud of too.
We’re proud to be growing, serving more customers and providing more jobs across Canada and the USA.
We’re proud of our environmental stewardship – turning waste into useful products and energy and working to the highest standards of disposal.
We’re proud to use the best tools and technology in the business – serving our customers well and keeping our employees safe.
And we’re proud of an awesome people-first culture. Working here means being part of a team – not a cog in a machine – and even in regional offices we feel valued, autonomous, and central to the action. Everyone at Walker has a voice.
How to Apply:
Our online application will give you the option to apply to this role as a complete person – not just a resume. The application will assess your qualifications, personality traits and workplace preferences, and should take 10 to 15 minutes to complete. After submitting, you'll receive an email inviting you to log in and view your assessment results.
We strive to build a team that reflects the diversity of the community we work in and encourage applications from traditionally underrepresented groups such as women, visible minorities, Indigenous peoples, people identifying as LGBTQ2SI, veterans, and people with disabilities. If we can make this easier through accommodation in the recruitment process, please contact us using the “Help” button.
We will review applications, with priority given to those who have completed the assessment and look forward to hearing from you.
Enter your email address to begin your application for this job.