Enter your email address to begin your application for this job.
Accounting Manager, Organics Collection and Recycling
COMPANY: Walker Environmental Group
LOCATION: Woodbridge, ON
TYPE: Contract (18-24 months)
With your years of accounting and finance and experience, you’re well-equipped to take your expertise to any industry or company and make a difference. But you’re not looking for just any company to join – you want to be part of an innovative organization with a rock-solid reputation. You want to join a team doing great things, making a positive difference in the environment.
If you’re ready for the next step in your career, and for a leadership opportunity within a thriving company, look no further because you could be our new Accounting Manager.
Walker Environmental, a division of Walker Industries, is a leading waste management and resource recovery company. We operate across Canada with two landfills, a waste transfer facility, biosolids stabilization plants, composting and mulch production facilities, organics collection fleet and recycling facilities, several landfill gas renewable energy projects and a waste haulage business.
As our new Accounting Manager, Organics Collection & Recycling, reporting to the Divisional Controller, you will be responsible for the accounting and financial reporting for our organics collection and recycling operations. Serving as the finance lead for this business unit, and with the support of four direct reports, you will ensure all accounting transactions are accurately recorded on a timely basis, and will prepare and distribute accurate and reliable financial statements and financial information to senior management, executives, and other stakeholders.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Overseeing the general accounting function including accounts payable for the organics collection and recycling operations
- Maintaining the general ledger, preparing account reconciliations, and managing subledgers
- Supporting the Divisional Controller in the implementation and documentation of financial controls to ensure integrity of the general ledger and financial reporting systems and processes
- Preparing and reviewing financial statements on a monthly, quarterly, and annual basis to provide financial analysis and insight to stakeholders; providing ad hoc reporting to detail areas of concern for senior management review
- Coordinating and preparing annual budgets and forecasts for the business unit
- Coordinate compilation of year end external audit files to provide adequate supporting documentation for the annual audited financial statements and corporate tax returns
- Provide financial analysis and insights on business operations and practices, in collaboration with senior management, to identify opportunities for process and system improvements
- Supervising your direct reports, monitoring workload and performance, and providing guidance, mentorship and motivation.
This business unit has processing and recycling operations running across Canada. In your role, you will be required to develop relationships with operations managers in each of our locations, playing a role in driving business results and growing our business. You’ll gain a deep understanding of our business operations from east coast to west and will enjoy working and communicating with people from all across our organization. Your ability to synthesize and clearly explain complex financial information will position you as a vital resource to each of them.
You’ll also serve as a coach and mentor to your team, and will love the opportunity to share your knowledge, provide guidance, and help them grow. If you’re ready to take ownership of a leadership opportunity and are hungry for a role where you can have a significant impact on a unique and growing company, then we want to meet you.
This is a full-time, contract role (18 – 24 months) offering a salary between $80,000-$90,000 per year plus benefits after three months. You’ll work out of our Woodbridge office, Monday to Friday. We have a convenient flex time schedule (with core hours between 9 am – 4 pm), and overtime will be required during peak times (month end, quarter end, etc.).
- Professional accounting designation
- Minimum of 6-7 years of accounting/finance experience in a large sized organization
- Experience working in accounting/finance, for a company with multiple locations
- Experience supervising and/or managing a team of direct reports
- Experience using an ERP system for data management, mining, and analytics to produce financial statements and reports (experience with JD Edwards is an asset)
- Experience in the waste management and/or resource recovery industry would be an asset
- University degree in accounting, finance, commerce, business administration or related discipline
Working at Walker Industries
Established in 1887, we are proud to be a fifth-generation, family-owned, Canadian company. Our group of companies includes aggregates, paving & construction, emulsions and environmental waste & recycling solutions. We are known for our philanthropy and ‘above and beyond’ service to our customers and communities.
There’s a lot more we’re proud of too.
We’re proud to be growing, serving more customers and providing more jobs across Canada and the USA.
We’re proud of our environmental stewardship – turning waste into useful products and energy and working to the highest standards of disposal.
We’re proud to use the best tools and technology in the business – serving our customers well and keeping our employees safe.
And we’re proud of an awesome people-first culture. Working here means being part of a team – not a cog in a machine – and even in regional offices we feel valued, autonomous, and central to the action. Everyone at Walker has a voice.
How to Apply:
Our online application will give you the option to apply to this role as a complete person – not just a resume. The application will assess your qualifications, personality traits and workplace preferences, and should take 10 to 15 minutes to complete. After submitting, you'll receive an email inviting you to log in and view your assessment results.
We strive to build a team that reflects the diversity of the community we work in and encourage applications from traditionally underrepresented groups such as women, visible minorities, Indigenous peoples, people identifying as LGBTQ2SI, veterans, and people with disabilities. If we can make this easier through accommodation in the recruitment process, please contact us using the “Help” button.
We will review applications, with priority given to those who have completed the assessment and look forward to hearing from you.
Enter your email address to begin your application for this job.