- Waterloo, ON
- High impact role in a small, agile laboratory environment
- Opportunity to work at the cutting edge of the smart materials industry
- Flexible, autonomous, and varied role in a multidisciplinary environment
- Competitive salary, commensurate with experience + full benefits including employee stock options
Smarter Alloys is at the forefront of the smart materials revolution. With applications ranging from wearable technology to medical devices, our technology can be found across a wide range of industries, including medical/dental, automotive, energy harvesting, consumer electronics and sporting goods.
As our new Mechanical Engineer, your primary goal is to design, build, and test mechanical devices for the energy harvesting, automotive, and medical device industries. We’re looking for someone who can truly own their projects, and carry them independently all the way through design, prototyping, testing, and production.
Primarily, we're looking for someone with experience in powertrain design, and some experience working with mechanical power transmission, and related design for manufacturing experience.
Practically speaking, you will:
- Design, build, and test everything mechanical, from miniature devices to larger machines, incorporating programmable shape memory alloy technology
- Develop and execute verification and validation activities including test plans and building equipment
- Support procurement and commissioning of automation, mechanical, and manufacturing equipment for both rapid prototyping and production
- Support marketing, business development, production, quality, and research and development efforts
You will have the independence and freedom to work on your projects independently, but with that freedom comes the responsibility of being understanding and responsive to the iterative nature of the work, and of communicating effectively with rest of the team.
You also have great technical strength, and you’re more than just book smart – you love digging into projects, getting your hands dirty, and feeling the rush that comes with successfully testing your own creations. You take pride in documenting your work and sharing in a collaborative manner
You should also be the kind of person who can look at the big picture, and intuitively understand all the work that needs to be put in place to achieve it. You’re not only a problem solver, you are a problem definer – able to insightfully characterize problems and develop comprehensive requirements for which you develop solutions.
If this sounds like you, and you’re excited by the opportunity to work in a dynamic, industry-leading start-up, then we want to hear from you.
Working with Smarter Alloys
We are a small, innovative and fast-moving company that is on the cutting edge of the smart materials industry. We have aggressive growth goals and are looking for someone who is willing to put in the work to help us get there. If this sounds like you, we want to hear from you! As part of our team, you can expect:
- A full-time, permanent position working in a state-of-the-art facility
- Flexible work schedule (40 hrs/week) with core hours between 10 am – 3:30 pm
- Competitive salary, commensurate with experience
- Medical and dental benefits, and employee stock options
- Opportunities for professional development
Here’s what we need:
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering, Mechatronics Engineering, or equivalent combination of education and work experience
- Minimum of 3-4 years of related product development/manufacturing experience in a mechanical design role, including the integration of mechanical and electrical systems
- Experience in powertrain design
- Some experience working with mechanical power transmission, and related design for manufacturing experience
- Advanced knowledge in 3D design tools such as AutoDesk, SolidWorks, etc.
- Strong knowledge of manufacturing principles and DFMA, specifically for metals and mechanical motion
- Strong knowledge of thermomechanical FEA, and experience using FEA software (Comsol or Ansys experience preferred)
- Good knowledge of GD&T and tolerance stackups
And here’s what would be an asset:
- Background in materials science with experience in shape memory alloys
- Experience in an agile research and development environment
- Experience with laser processing and advanced manufacturing
- Experience with one or more programming languages such as Matlab, Python, or C++
- Good understanding of Fluid dynamics
- Strong knowledge of heat transfer, and thermodynamics
- Experience with machine design
How to Apply
Our online application will give you the option to apply to this role as a complete person – not just a resume. The application will assess your qualifications, personality traits and workplace preferences, and should take 10 to 15 minutes to complete. After submitting, you'll receive an email inviting you to log in and view your assessment results.
We strive to build a team that reflects the diversity of the community we work in and encourage applications from traditionally underrepresented groups such as women, visible minorities, Indigenous peoples, people identifying as LGBTQ2SI, veterans, and people with disabilities.
We will review applications, with priority given to those who have completed the assessment and look forward to hearing from you.
You are applying for: