Director, Project Development
Pivot Energy is accelerating the shift to clean energy in communities throughout the nation, by developing, financing, and servicing commercial solar, community solar, and energy storage projects. We started by building solar systems for small businesses and have since grown to become a national player with an end-to-end distributed energy platform that helps businesses and communities embrace renewable energy.
We are one of the fastest growing solar companies and are proud to operate with a Triple Bottom Line (3BL), measuring our success by the positive impact we make to people, planet, and profit. We believe the business community is uniquely positioned to make a profound impact on a variety of social and environmental challenges, which is why we have dedicated ourselves to operating this way and helping others learn how they can adopt this revolutionary approach to business.
This position is responsible for the successful development of both individual projects and large portfolios of community solar and solar+storage projects, through site origination, project co-development, and acquisition. Responsibilities include detailed site and project due diligence, local permitting, utility interconnection process management, interfacing with relevant regulatory bodies and incentive programs (e.g., NYSERDA), and finance and construction support.
This is a highly detail-oriented position that requires the employee to be the market and project expert in the target region, with an ability to process and prioritize significant volumes of information accurately and efficiently. Acute site and market decisions must be made to ensure successful project delivery.
Site Acquisition and Site Development Campaigns, Co-Development
- Directly negotiate land leases, landowner relationships, and deploy legal resources as necessary.
- Lead permitting and due diligence efforts to de-risk projects and prep for finance/construction.
- Responsible for land planning, permit submittals, public hearings and other meetings as necessary.
- De-risk project sites from typical threats such as uninsurable access/title, unknown sub-surface conditions, environmental concerns, historical/archaeological, other energy and mineral uses, and utility and interconnection issues.
- Manage internal and external resources to acquire, co-develop and develop sites, including supporting relationships with other developers, channel partners and other project origination and acquisition sources.
- Research existing, in-development and evolving policy, tariffs, and programs in new locations to identify new opportunities and plan for successful market entry.
- Ensure projects comply with all applicable federal, state, and local laws, and all utility regulations.
- Work with AHJs to shape ordinances, code, and regulations that support solar implementation.
Utility Program Management
- Usher portfolios of projects through statutory, programmatic, and interconnection steps.
- Maintain constructive relationships with utilities and related governing bodies.
Finance and Accounting
- Use internal tools to monitor project spending.
- Support financial transactions, including support for closing processes, and deliver applicable items related to a project as required.
- At least 5 years of experience in the renewable energy industry with at least 3 years in project development.
- Supplemental education or certifications in real estate, title, finance, solar energy, or construction.
- Detailed working knowledge of one or more Northeast regional market’s solar legislation and programs.
- Direct experience managing and navigating IOU and ISO interconnection programs.
Requires as needed, potentially last-minute in-person travel to project sites across the Northeast region and quarterly travel to Denver, Colorado.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
Awarded one of the “Best Places to Work” in Denver in 2019 by the Denver Business Journal, Pivot Energy is a triple-bottom-line company that focuses on our people as our most valuable resource. We offer a competitive salary based on relevant experience. This position also qualifies for Pivot’s Commission Plan, tied directly to revenue production.
Pivot Energy has an outstanding benefits package that gets better every year. These include excellent health/dental/vision insurance benefits with up to 100% of premiums covered by the company, 401(k) match, profit sharing, four weeks of vacation, and generous parental leave. Additionally, Pivot offers extended PTO for volunteering in the community, an employee solar program, and a company match for all individual charitable donations up to $500/year.
Pivot Energy is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its employees. We seek to cultivate an inclusive culture that celebrates all identities and values the unique perspectives that they bring to the workplace.
You are applying for:
Director, Project Development
New York City, NY