Vice President, Legal
Pivot Energy is seeking a motivated and self-directed individual to join our growing team at our Denver headquarters. This role is responsible for managing all legal affairs for Pivot Energy. This is a key role for the company, facilitating project financial transactions, building the necessary legal frameworks for all external relations, and providing strategic legal guidance to the executive team. Successful execution of this role will result in smoother, faster, and less risky transactions in all aspects of the company’s business, thereby building significant corporate value.
This position offers an exciting leadership opportunity at a cutting-edge company with operations in multiple US markets, and reports directly to the CEO
Primary Responsibilities and Activities:
- Provide legal guidance and input to the project financial transactions at the core of Pivot’s business. Work directly with business leads on transaction negotiations to drive towards high speed and low risk completion of deals.
- Work with Structured Finance, EPCM, and other teams to continually improve project transaction processes, document templates, and software tools
Solar Project Development
- Oversee internal legal review of solar project development activities where needed and/or requested by Utility Development team, including in-house title review, land leases, environmental assessments, and subcontractor contracts.
Partnership Development and Documentation
- Develop legal templates to support Pivot’s expansion into new business areas – project acquisition documents, software and service contracts, etc.
- Oversee legal aspects of negotiations in partnerships where requested by business leads, including PPAs, EPC contracts, and other documents
- Work with Pivot executive team to assess strategic growth opportunities, identifying risk areas and opportunities
- Guide legal structuring of Pivot and all related corporate entities/investors
Other Duties/Areas of Involvement:
- Oversee any external counsel needed for specialized legal work
- Review of utility regulatory policy, depending on experience
- Qualified, licensed attorney
- Excellent communication and time management skills
- Experience with solar energy transactions is highly desired, including negotiation of PPAs, MIPAs, EPC contracts, tax equity transactions, land leases, and development-related documents. Familiarity with as many of these as possible is preferred.
- Licensed to practice in Colorado or other relevant jurisdictions
Compensation & Benefits
Awarded one of the “Best Places to Work” in Denver in 2019 by the Denver Business Journal, Pivot Energy is a triple-bottom-line company that focuses on our people as our most valuable resource. We offer a competitive salary and an outstanding benefits package that gets better every year. Benefits include company paid health insurance, 401(k) match, four weeks of vacation, a generous parental leave plan, flexible work schedule, paid time off for volunteering, and other outstanding benefits.
Pivot Energy is a Denver-based solar energy company that is focused on helping accelerate the rapid transition taking place in the energy industry toward power generation that is cleaner, and more decentralized. Pivot offers a distributed energy platform that includes a range of services and software aimed at serving the full commercial solar ecosystem, including retail customers, project developers, system operators, utilities, and financiers. The company develops, finances, builds, and manages community and commercial solar projects around the country. Pivot operates on a triple bottom line basis, measuring success by the positive impact to people, planet, and profit. Learn more at pivotenergy.net.
Please include a cover letter describing your experience and what you will bring to company. Applications without cover letters may not be reviewed.
You are applying for:
Vice President, Legal