Short-term Consultant for Country Strategy Development - Nepal
Short-Term Consultant for Country Strategy Development | Nepal
Geneva Global is currently seeking a highly-motivated, outstanding individual or firm to act as an in-country consultant supporting the development of a grantmaking strategy to identify and recommend priorities in the education, health, and economic empowerment sectors. The consultant would need to be based in-country and have extensive in-country experience. The assignment would require an estimated 30 working days over the course of approximately three months, beginning between August and October 2019. This document provides detailed information on the assignment and relevant qualifications.
Geneva Global has been tasked with creating a 3-5-year grantmaking strategy for a client interested in improving education, health, and economic empowerment outcomes. Using desk research, key document review, and key informant interviews, the Geneva Global team will propose a set of possible interventions that correspond to priority needs of the country, complement other efforts, and/or address prominent gaps.
Background information needed to inform strategy development will include but not be limited to:
- Understanding national development aims, initiatives, and policies with reference to the government’s plans and activities in the health, education, and economic development sectors; addressing the nature and breadth of coverage as related to three core development parameters: (i) technical dimensions, (ii) geography, and (iii) the sociocultural and economic characteristics of the major beneficiaries
- Government plans and policies to participate in pursuing the international Sustainable Development Goals and any relevant multilateral engagements in the country
- The country’s current and planned multilateral and bilateral development engagements
- Key INGO and national-level NGO programs relevant to the sectors of interest
The strategy document to be developed would include, but not be limited to:
- A summary and analysis of findings from the above research to inform grant decision-making priorities in each sector
- An outline of key strategic priority recommendations for the client’s grantmaking—including illustrative grantee partners, programs, and activities—that refer to the three core parameters and align with the client’s mission and strategic vision
- Indicative budgets for each sector
- High-level results indicators
- Other information to round out the country strategy content
Role of the Consultant
The consultant for this assignment would be tasked with the following:
- Key Stakeholder Identification and Engagement
- Identify the key government, multilateral, bilateral, INGO, NGO, and other relevant significant stakeholders that can provide or help Geneva Global access any written materials on the priorities, aims, and investments for the relevant sectors and can act as key informants for interviews and networking, as needed.
- Arrange and participate in key informant interviews with stakeholders as described above, both before and during an in-country visit (approximately 10 days total) by representatives from Geneva Global and our client.
- Identify and access relevant documents that outline plans, priorities, and related budgets for work in the key sectors from national and sub-national government entities (such as a national government education priority plan) and key multilateral, bilateral, or INGO organizations.
- Summarize key findings as needed, especially when documents are in a language other than English.
- Site Visit Coordination
- Collaborate with Geneva Global headquarters’ staff and client representatives in creating an agenda for an in-country visit lasting for approximately 10 days: arrange and participate in key informant interviews; coordinate, arrange, and book trip logistics, including hotel accommodation, ground transportation, meals, etc., in consultation with Geneva Global headquarters’ staff and client representatives.
- Report content
- Draft, review, and provide contextual insight and input into the relevant background content for the strategy document.
- Support contextual analysis of findings and recommendations for the country strategy.
Consultant Role Key Competencies
Successful candidates will meet most or all the following criteria:
- Broad knowledge, experience, and networks/existing relationships with relevant potential key stakeholders, including national-level government ministries (for example, Ministry of Health, Ministry of Education, or relevant sub-ministries), as well as with relevant multilateral, bilateral, INGO, and national-level NGOs
- Strong reputation for integrity and competency
- Extensive experience in the international development field
- Adept at creating/contributing to grantmaking strategies
- Ability to work independently and produce high-quality work products within agreed deadlines
- Excellent analytical skills
- Fluency in English and relevant local language(s)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English
- Proficiency of Microsoft Word and Excel
- Availability to begin assignment in August – October of 2019.
About Geneva Global
Geneva Global Inc. is a philanthropic advisory firm headquartered in the Philadelphia area of Pennsylvania (USA). Founded in 1999, Geneva Global provides independent research, advice, and grant management to philanthropic investors. Geneva Global assists clients in cutting through the complexities of international giving to connect the best community-owned solutions to humanitarian needs. On behalf of our clients, our work has directly benefitted more than 101 million people through 1,500 projects in over 100 countries. Our international network of on-the-ground experts provide community-based approaches to catalyze positive social change. Geneva Global is committed to equity, diversity, and inclusion in our hiring practices, including hiring for short-term consulting assignments.
How to Apply
Applicants should upload a brief cover letter and resume (including names and contact information for three references).
Applications will be accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
You are applying for:
Short-term Consultant for Country Strategy Development - Nepal