CJSR is Edmonton’s listener-supported, volunteer-powered campus and community radio station. The News Coordinator is responsible for CJSR’s news, public affairs, and spoken word programming and ensures that this programming satisfies the organizational needs and the mission of CJSR: to enlighten and entertain the audience through high quality and diverse programming that constantly challenges the status quo. They manage the smooth day-to-day operation of the station’s News and Spoken Word Department, coordinate and train news volunteers, and support Production and Programming Department training as required. The News Coordinator also maintains and fosters a positive learning, volunteering, and work environment.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supervises all volunteers under the scope of the position
- Recruits, selects, trains, and reviews progress and performance of volunteers in the area
- Ensures pre-recorded news programs are queued up for broadcast and all live news programs are staffed
- Conducts daily and long-term evaluation of programs and newscasts
- Ensures that news programming meets the CJSR Mandate and adheres to all relevant legislation and CJSR programming requirements/standards
- Supervises and assists with hiring of interns in the news department
- May produce a weekly news/spoken word show (approved by the Station Manager/Executive Director) utilizing it as a development platform to train and engage volunteers. Alternatively, may use an intern-supported program like Generator for the same purpose.
- Coordinates special radio projects with the University of Alberta such as Community Service Learning projects
- Responsible for creation and updating of news-related training resources and equipment
- Delivers feedback (including constructive and/or disciplinary feedback) according to policies of the organization and departmental standards (e.g.: making sure shows are ready in advance, fact-checking, listening to old pieces before rebroadcasting)
- Writes grant applications for special projects, together with Station Manager/Executive Director
- Other duties as assigned
- Holds a university degree or college or technical diploma in Arts, Journalism, Communications, or Broadcasting (Radio or Television Arts) from a recognized educational institution. (e.g.: NAIT, MacEwan University, U of A)
- Candidates having some post secondary education and relevant employment or volunteer experience may also be considered for the role.
- Campus/Community Radio experience is an asset but not required for this staff position.
Salary, Hours, & Benefits:
This leadership position is out of scope and 30 hours per week. The position is paid hourly. This position is not eligible for overtime unless it is previously approved in writing by the Station Manager/Executive Director. If required to work overtime, the incumbent will be paid in accordance with applicable employment legislation. This position is eligible for benefits.
To apply, please complete the online application and include a resume, cover letter, and 2 audio samples of your work (must be sent as MP3s, no longer than ten minutes each). Please include the link to the files on Dropbox, OneDrive, GoogleDrive, SoundCloud etc. in either your social media links or cover letter.
Our online application will give you the option to apply to this role as a complete candidate – not just a resume. The application will assess your qualifications, personality traits and workplace preferences, and should take 10 to 15 minutes to complete. You can get a copy of your assessment when you’re done by logging back into the application tool.
We value diversity and inclusion and encourage all qualified people to apply. If we can make this easier through accommodation in the recruitment process, please contact us with the “Help” button in the application.
Screening of candidates and interviews may commence prior to the early submission deadline for applications. Candidates chosen for interview may be asked to complete an exercise or work submission as part of the selection process. The selected candidate must successfully pass a police and security clearance for the position. Posting will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.
Deadline: March 28, 2018 at 4 PM
Only candidates who are shortlisted will be contacted
CJSR is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, or (dis)ability.
You are applying for:
CJSR 88.5 FM