Community Outreach Coordinator
Beneficial State Foundation
Clean Vehicle Financing Assistance Pilot Program
Community Outreach Coordinator (East L.A.)
Reports to: Program Director and Director of Community Engagement for California
Classification: Regular, Full-Time, Exempt-level position
Beneficial State Foundation is a unique Foundation whose mission is to create, guide, and promote a new, beneficial banking model that transforms the banking industry.
We are the primary owner of two triple-bottom-line banks – Beneficial State Bank and Albina Community Bank – and our work is to help define, drive, measure, and strengthen the social and environmental work of the banks. We play a key role in connecting nonprofits, social-impact businesses, other Foundations, and the bank in order to fund and support community- and environmentally-focused projects and programs. Beyond our own banks, the Foundation is also building a movement toward a financial system that nourishes rather than extracts from communities. We seek to change the banking system for good.
This fall, Beneficial State Foundation was awarded a $5 million grant to administer the statewide Financing Assistance Pilot Project (FAPP), a three-year pilot program funded by the California Air Resources Board. The program will provide roughly 800 lower-income individuals with grants and low cost financing to purchase electric and hybrid vehicles. We will implement this program in close partnership with Beneficial State Bank, the Center for Sustainable Energy, and GRID Alternatives.
We are seeking to hire a Community Outreach Coordinator to build connections across the L.A. County and engage local community stakeholders in the work of Beneficial State Foundation. This individual will wear two important hats: they will implement the outreach strategy for the Financing Assistance Pilot Project (FAPP) and they will execute special projects on behalf of Beneficial State Foundation and Bank. Since the FAPP is a new program, outreach and events related to its launch will be the primary focus for this position starting out. Once the program is up and running, the goal is that the Community Outreach Coordinator’s time is evenly split between the two areas of focus. In this initial launch phase, the Community Outreach Coordinator is expected to help coordinate events and special projects to build program awareness across the L.A. County. The Community Outreach Coordinator will be the Foundation’s sole representative based in L.A.. S/he will report to the Foundation’s Director of Community Engagement and the FAPP Program Director, both located in Oakland, while also working closely with, and supporting the goals of the L.A. bank team.
The candidate should possess the ability to work independently on many projects and coordinate effectively across multiple departments and stakeholders. S/he will use initiative, creativity, and diplomacy in efforts to meet the Foundation’s mission, including continued expansion of the Bank’s name recognition in social and environmental impact circles in L.A. County and implementation of the FAPP outreach strategy. The individual should be able to maintain confidentiality and work effectively with stakeholders from very diverse backgrounds. The ideal candidate will be dynamic and enthusiastic, a quick learner, have excellent communication skills, and will possess a high level of discretionary tact.
As part of a small and spread-out team implementing the FAPP outreach strategy, the Community Outreach Coordinator will be responsible for building and managing relationships with internal and external program partners, community based organizations, dealerships, and community leaders. S/he will be comfortable regularly promoting the FAPP at local community events and will stay abreast of local and statewide clean energy incentives and programs. The position requires participation in evening and weekend events and frequent travel, primarily throughout L.A. County.
Primary Job Duties and Responsibilities
1. For the Financing Assistance Pilot Project:
- Serve as a member of the FAPP outreach team and work with other staff to implement community engagement strategies to advance awareness of and participation in the Financing Assistance Pilot Project among lower-income communities and individuals, with a focus in disadvantaged communities in the L.A. area.
- Implement the outreach strategy in accordance with the grant agreement and engage lower-income consumers through activities relevant to the community being served.
- Manage and build relationships with community representatives and program partners to build a strong network of mission-aligned individuals and organizations serving lower-income communities and equitable clean vehicle adoption across California.
- Coordinate and staff FAPP community outreach events with dealerships and community partners, occasionally on weekends.
- Support Beneficial State Bank staff in building partnerships with local dealerships.
- Attend community events focused on clean vehicle technology.
- Establish tracking and reporting procedures and evaluate lead generation data for continued improvement of the FAPP outreach strategy.
- Assists in strategic planning and program development.
- Assist in program evaluation.
- Participate in quarterly program evaluation meetings.
2. For Beneficial State Foundation:
In collaboration with colleagues at the bank and foundation, the Community Outreach Coordinator will serve as an ambassador for Beneficial State. Specific deliverables for this work will be based on foundation needs and the unique abilities of the chosen candidate. This is an opportunity for a creative and self-motivated individual to bring their unique skillset and interests to help co-create a workplan.
- He/she will identify, cultivate, and establish strategic relationships with socially-responsible businesses, nonprofit organizations, associations and values-aligned individuals in Los Angeles to advance our mission.
- In 2018, the COO will focus his/her efforts on empowering our community by executing new projects, coordinating civic engagement and voter registration efforts, and building a robust community engagement plan with a focus on neighborhoods in East Los Angeles.
- He/she will also be responsible for event planning and execution and representing Beneficial State at various events and community forums.
Education and Experience
- Preferred education – BA/BS or above, or equivalent combination of education and/or experience
- Experience in social impact business and/or the nonprofit sector
- Knowledge of L.A County and its social impact business and nonprofit community ecosystems and leaders
- Event planning experience
Skills and Abilities
- Conversational Spanish fluency
- Proven relationship building and networking skills
- Ability to work with a variety of people, including peers, nonprofit executives, community organizers, public officials, small business owners, bank staff and auto dealers.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and attention to detail
- Excellent organizational and project management skills
- Passion for economic justice and ability to understand banking concepts and auto financing
- Solid computer skills, including Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint required
- Familiarity with Salesforce a plus
- Self-starter, self-motivated and the ability to take on challenging projects
- Driven and self-motivated to produce quality work in a fast-paced environment
- Tact, diplomacy, good judgment, discretion and ability to make sound decisions with confidential and personal information
- Works independently with little supervision, asks questions when instructions aren’t clear
- Sensitivity to issues of low-wealth borrowers and communities and a desire to work in a racially and socially diverse organization
- CA driver’s license and ability to drive required (personal vehicle preferred but not required)
- Great sense of humor a plus
- Frequently requires use of manual dexterity and repetitive motions, primarily with the wrists, hands, and/or fingers. Occasionally requires lifting up to 20 lbs. for setting up and breaking down events.
- Salary commensurate with experience and offering excellent benefits including health, dental, vision, 401k and more.
- To apply, please prepare a thoughtful cover letter and submit along with your resume. The position will remain posted until filled.
- Beneficial State Foundation provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants in all company facilities without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, pregnancy, childbirth, physical disability, mental and/or intellectual disability, age, military status or status as a Vietnam-era or special disabled veteran, marital status, registered domestic partner or civil union status, gender (including sex stereotyping and gender identity or expression), medical condition (including, but not limited to, cancer related or HIV/AIDS related), genetic information, or sexual orientation in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.
You are applying for:
Community Outreach Coordinator
Beneficial State Foundation
Los Angeles, CA