Vice President, Operations
Alter Eco is a pioneer of globally crafted organic foods, including delicious Swiss-made chocolate bars and truffles, Bolivian Royal heirloom quinoa, and heirloom Thai rice. All Alter Eco products are USDA Certified Organic, Fair Trade Certified, Carbon Neutral Certified, Non-GMO Project Verified and Certified Gluten-Free. Recognized as a top certified B Corp and one of the first registered Public Benefit Corporations, Alter Eco is dedicated to full-circle sustainability throughout its operations and supply chain through four pillars: sourcing using Fair Trade principles, producing of only organic and non-GMO foods, creating minimal waste by working towards 100 percent compostable packaging, and in-setting carbon emissions by means of large-scale reforestation programs in the cooperatives that produce its crops. These principals are entwined with Alter Eco’s commitment to the highest quality ingredients and taste in all its products.
This position will lead the Operational functions at Alter Eco including oversight and management of all facets of day to day operations. This includes but not limited to: purchasing, production, quality, distribution, warehousing, and overall operational activities including: budgeting, sourcing, inventory management, COGs and cost reduction opportunities, production flow, quality control, compliance with all certifications and regulations, import/export processes, research and development, strategic planning, and personnel management.
- Oversee operations including purchasing, customer service, Food Safety and Quality Assurance and Inventory Controls.
- Lead on all company related vendor management, contract negotiations and co-packer KPI’s.
- Oversight of system of coordinating, tracking, shipping, as well as cost-effective purchasing and production schedules.
- Analyze all inventory related costs to identify cost reduction opportunities while improving product line gross margins.
- Nurtures relationships and negotiates with growers, co-packers and eco-system supporting Alter Eco business units including Canada, USA and Australia.
- Oversight of company planning and resources to enable the highest integrity of Organic, Fair Trade, and quality control processes.
- Coordinates with Marketing Department on specs, deadlines, and final proofs for production of printed materials to support new and existing product launches.
- Together with sales, forecast sales based on pending and historical sales, inventory reports, and other pertinent records to minimize product wastage and maximize product gross margins.
- Anticipate, coordinate and problem solve needs for new product rollouts, co-packer capacity versus business demand, etc.
- With staff, establish procedures for maintaining high standards of manufacturing operations, product quality, inventory controls, reliability, and safety.
- Determine and enforce productivity, quality, and safety requirements in accordance with current and foreseeable real company needs.
- Evaluate and develop improved techniques for the control of operations, quality, reliability, and safety.
- Periodic travel to growers and co-packers throughout the world
ESSENTIAL REQUIREMENTS & QUALIFICATIONS
- 10+ Years in an Operations role in a manufacturing or distributing food or consumer packaged goods company.
- Experience managing and a deep understanding of supply chain operations, co-packer network and e-commerce operations.
- Working knowledge of budgeting, demand planning, forecasting, production planning and fulfillment a must.
- Strong systems skills including MS Office (Excel, Word, Outlook), ERP systems (NetSuite preferred) and E-commerce Platforms.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills with ability to influence decisions through granular knowledge of day to day flow of products.
- Highly detail oriented and organized individual who can work closely with new operational team members on improving business processes and procedures.
- Excellence in S&OP process
- Ability to strategically oversee company office and infrastructure related tools (IT, ERP etc.)
PREFERRED REQUIREMENTS & QUALIFICATIONS
- Natural or Organic industry experience strongly preferred.
- An affinity for the products and mission of Alter Eco
- International experience
- Proficiency in Spanish helpful
Applications must include resume and cover letter.
No phone calls please.
You are applying for:
Vice President, Operations
Alter Eco Foods
San Francisco, CA